Today is October 1st and the nip of fall is already in the air here in Texas. Although I love the break from the swealtering heat, what I don’t like is how the change in temperature causes instant changes to my skin and I’m sure I’m not alone…many of your clients are, or will be, experiencing the same. Autumn is a time of transition, and the best autumn skin care routines will correct any summer damage that has occurred and prepare skin for winter. Here are some things to focus on with treatments and product recommendations:
- Ditch the soap. Fragrant soapy scrubs might feel (and smell) wonderful after a day at the beach, but they leave skin dry. When fall arrives, switch to a soap-free hydrating cleanser. We recommend our plant based Scandle Eco-Shave & Shower Foam, a soap-free shave foam and body cleanser in one.
- Exfoliate with an oil-based scrub. The summer sun and chlorine may leave skin feeling dry and flaky. Have your clients start the new season off with a full-body exfoliation session with an oil-based scrub. Try our Scandle Hawaiian Turbinato Sugar Scrub or Scandle Dead Sea Salt Soak & Scrub , which utilizes the warm soothing oil of The Scandle Body Lotion Candle as a luxurious treatment option to exfoliate and hydrate for fall.
- Switch from light-weight lotion to a cream or thick lotion. As the air becomes drier, skin needs a thicker moisturizer to produce a stronger oily barrier. To reduce water loss from the outer layer of skin and provide hydration to this layer of skin at the same time we recommend cream or thick lotion with a soy, shea butter, and jojoba base like Scandle Lotion Candles in our limited edition fall fragrance, Autumn Harvest.
- Protect your lips. Start moisturizing now to prevent dry, cracked lips this winter. We recommend a non-petroleum based lip balm for best results.
- Invest in hand cream. Hands often become dry and cracked during fall and winter. An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure. Try offering up a Scandle Hand Treatment as an add on service (check out our article on “A Helping Hand for Massage Profits” for treatment techniques). This involves massaging hands with our moisture rich Scandle Lotion Candles and slipping on warming mitts during a treatment session or wrapping hands in hot towels for soft, supple hands.
What other treatments/products can you recommend for fabulous fall skin?